Coaching and Mentoring
This workshop focuses on how to better coach your employees to higher performance. Coaching is a process of relationship building and setting goals. How well you coach is relates directly to how well you are able to foster a great working relationship with your employees through understanding them and strategic goal setting.
An easy-to-understand coaching model taught in this workshop will guide you through the coaching process. Prepare yourself to change a few things about yourself in order to coach your employees to better performance.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define coaching, mentoring and the GROW model.
- Identify and set appropriate goals using the SMART technique of goal setting.
- Identify the steps necessary in defining the current state or reality of your employee’s situation.
- Identify the steps needed in defining options for your employee and turn them into a preliminary plan.
- Identify the steps in developing a finalized plan or wrapping it up and getting your employee motivated to accomplish those plans.
- Identify the benefits of building and fostering trust with your employee.
- Identify the steps in giving effective feedback while maintaining trust.
Module One: Getting Started
The Parking Lot
Module Two: Defining Coaching and Mentoring
What is Coaching?
What is Mentoring?
Introducing the G.R.O.W. Model
Module Three: Setting Goals
Goals in the Context of GROW
Identifying Appropriate Goal Areas
Setting SMART Goals
Module Four: Understanding the Realities
Getting a Picture of Where You Are
Exploring the Past
Module Five: Developing Options
Choosing Your Final Approach
Structuring a Plan
Module Six: Wrapping it All Up
Creating the Final Plan
Identifying the First Step
Module Seven: The Importance of Trust
What is Trust?
Trust and Coaching
Module Eight: Providing Feedback
The Feedback Sandwich
Providing Constructive Criticism
Encouraging Growth and Development
Module Nine: Overcoming Roadblocks
Focusing on Progress
Module Ten: Reaching the End
How to Know When You’ve Achieved Success
Transitioning the Coach
Wrapping it All Up
Module Eleven: How Mentoring Differs from Coaching
The Basic Differences
Blending the Two Models
Adapting the GROW Model for Mentoring
Focusing on the Relationship
Module Twelve: Wrapping it Up
Words from the Wise
Review of Parking Lot
Completion of Action Plans and Evaluations