Assertiveness and Self-Confidence
Self-confident and assertiveness are two skills that are crucial for success in life. If you don’t feel worthy, and/or you don’t know how to express your self-worth when communicating with others, life can be very painful. These skills will provide opportunities and benefits to your participants in their professional and personal lives.
This workshop will give participants an understanding of what assertiveness and self-confidence each mean (in general and to them personally) and how to develop those feelings in their day-to-day lives. These skills will encompass many aspects of your participant’s lives and have a positive effect on all of them.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define assertiveness and self-confidence, and list the four styles of communication
- Describe the types of negative thinking, and how one can overcome negative thoughts
- Explain the difference between listening and hearing, and understand the importance of body language and questioning skills in communication
- Define the importance of goal setting, and practice setting SMART goals for assertive behavior
- Utilize methodologies for understanding your worth — and the use of positive self-talk
- List reasons why a pleasing appearance and body language are critical for creating a strong first impression
- Practice sending positive communications phrased as “I-Messages”
- Use the STAR model to make your case during a presentation challenge
- Display rapport-building skills through assertive methods of expressing disagreement and consensus-building techniques
- Practice strategies for gaining positive outcomes in difficult interpersonal situations.
Module One: Getting Started
The Parking Lot
Module Two: What Does Self-Confidence Mean To You?
What is Assertiveness?
What is Self-Confidence?
The Four Styles
Module Three: Obstacles to Our Goals
Types of Negative Thinking
Module Four: Communication Skills
Listening and Hearing: They Aren’t the Same Thing
Module Five: The Importance of Goal Setting
Why Goal Setting is Important
Setting SMART Goals
Our Challenge to You
Module Six: Feeling the Part
Identifying Your Worth
Creating Positive Self-Talk
Identifying and Addressing Strengths and Weaknesses
Module Seven: Looking the Part
The Importance of Appearance
The Role of Body Language
First Impressions Count!
Module Eight: Sounding the Part
It’s How You Say It
Using ‘I’ Messages
Module Nine: Powerful Presentations
What to Do When You’re on the Spot
Using STAR To Make Your Case
Module Ten: Coping Techniques
Coming to Consensus
Module Eleven: Dealing with Difficult Behavior
Dealing with Difficult Situations
Module Twelve: Wrapping Up
Words from the Wise
Review of Parking Lot
Completion of Action Plans and Evaluations