Civility In The Workplace
Civility is treating people with consideration and respect. It is a simple and priceless act that can have an incredibly positive impact on someone’s day. Being polite and nice and genuinely caring about your coworker’s feelings will produce a happy and more productive work environment. Producing a more civil workforce will put smiles on the faces of employees and customers alike.
An uncivil workplace can lead to lower moral, lower productivity, more employee turnover, and generally not a nice place to work. The list is endless as to what negative events can occur in an uncivil work environment. The benefits to Civility in the Workplace are countless and will pay off immensely in every aspect of your job.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define civility, understand its causes, and enumerate at least three of its behavioral indicators.
- Understand the costs of incivility, as well as the rewards of civility, within the workplace.
- Learn practical ways of practicing workplace etiquette, including the proper use of greetings, respect, involvement, and political correctness.
- Learn the basic styles of conflict resolution and identify the style most appropriate for managing particular conflicts in the workplace.
- Learn skills in diagnosing the causes of uncivil behavior.
- Understand the role of forgiveness and conflict resolution in the creation of a civil working environment.
- Understand the different elements of effective communication, particularly effective para-verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Learn facilitative communication skills such as listening and appreciative inquiry.
- Learn specific interventions that can be utilized when there’s conflict within the workplace.
- Learn a recommended procedure for systematizing civil behavior within the workplace.
Module 1: Getting Started
The Parking Lot
Module Two: Introduction
What is Uncivil Behavior?
Three Reasons Why You Should be Civil
Dealing with Difficult Personalities
Costs and Rewards
Module Three: Effective Work Etiquette
Being Politically Correct
Module Four: Costs and Rewards
Incivility and the Costs
Civility and the Rewards
Four Causes of Incivility
How to Overcome It
Module Five: Conflict Resolution
Module Six: Getting to the Cause
Examining the Root Cause
Creating a Cause and Effect Diagram
Benefits of Resolution
Module Seven: Communication
Module Eight: Negotiation
Three Sides to Incivility
Creative Problem Solving
Module Nine: Identifying Your Need
Completing a Needs Analysis
Module Ten: Writing a Civility Policy
Designating the Core Group
Defining What is Unacceptable Behavior
Defining the Consequence
Writing the Policy
Module Eleven: Implementing the Policy
The First Steps
Module Twelve: Wrapping Up
Words from the Wise
Review of Parking Lot
Completion of Action Plans and Evaluations